Tuesday 16 April 2013

The Glory Days Are (Officially) Back!


At around 9:30 last night, after refreshing my inbox over 500 times during the course of the day, the email from Ice Fyre finally arrived. When I opened it and read the second line, I nearly cried from excitement:

The Ice Fyre Coaching staff are proud to offer you a position on the Ice Fyre Adult II Team for the 2013-2014 season.

After an eight-year break and having convinced myself I’d never be able to skate again, I’m officially on a synchronized skating team. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Given how many people were at the second try out, I was worried about my chances – there were only 20 spots and many of the skaters were really talented. The email itself said the decisions were difficult. I certainly didn’t envy the position the coaches were in.  

That being said, I can’t begin to describe how elated I am to be part of the skating world again.
The past two weeks have reignited a flame I thought had long burnt out and it really does feel amazing.

I'm looking forward to reconnecting with the girls I skated with before and meeting the new members of our team.

With three competitions planned for the 2013/2014 season not including nationals, we have a lot of work ahead of us and I can’t wait to get started. Our practices begin in August so that gives me plenty of time to come back down to earth from cloud nine and get myself in shape.

Bring on the skating tights, blisters, Sunday night practices, run-throughs of the program just “one more time”, competition buns, sparkles, and Peterborough Petes hockey parties memories.

Look out synchro world - Whitby Ice Fyre's Adult Team is ready to top the podium!

No comments:

Post a Comment