Monday 15 April 2013

Reliving The Glory Days: Round 2


Last night, we had our second of two skating try outs for Whitby Ice Fyre’s adult team.

Since our first session last week, I’ve been thinking nonstop about the possibility of skating again. I’m borderline obsessed.

On Saturday, I went to a figure skating store to buy tights and gel socks. I’m a serious figure skater after all - tights and gel socks are necessities.  

Although I knew exactly what I was looking for, I found myself wandering around the store touching the skating dresses, fiddling with the sparkles, playing with scrunchies, and trying out the skating 
bags.

After 15 minutes, I finally went up to the cash and word vomited all over the poor cashier about how excited I was to skate again “because, like, it’d been so long”. He politely nodded while he rang me through but the look in his eyes said it all – this woman is I-N-S-A-N-E.

All day before the try out, I had nervous butterflies. I thought about what I was going to wear, what time I should leave, I Google-mapped my route even though I’d been there 100 times, and set my skating bag by the door.

I tried on two different outfits and I hummed to myself while I did my make-up – yes you read that correctly. 

As I brushed my hair, I began to laugh uncontrollably. Tears streaming down my face and my make-up essentially ruined, I realized I just did my make up before a skating practice. I barely have time to do my hair and make-up before work but here I am applying mascara and eye liner before a work out. Apparently my inner poptart isn’t totally gone. I’m not sure whether to be embarrassed or proud.  

(Photo credit: Britta)
When I arrived at the arena, I felt at home again. Even the sight of the Zamboni resurfacing the ice gave me goosebumps. (what?!)

The cool, crisp air was almost intoxicating and this time, I felt more in control and more confident in my ability. 

Although I struggled with some of the movements we were asked to do, I felt like I was on a high. In fact, skating last night almost made me delusional.

It wasn’t until this morning that I thought about some of the things we were asked to practice and realized that I probably didn’t execute them as well as I thought I did in my mind. Field moves like Ina Bauers and spirals were much more challenging than I ever remember them being.

In my mind, my spiral looked something like this:


From everyone else’s perspective, this was probably more accurate:

... But less canine and more human. You get the idea.

I think there must have been something in the air. Or perhaps I’ve just become a full blown addict.

As soon as I got off the ice, my muscles began to ache and fatigue started to set in – I loved every second of it. With my 2003 Gold Medallion competition CD cranked the entire way home, I realized how badly I wanted to make the team. 

I know I have a long way to go to reach even half of the level I was at before in terms of flexibility, confidence, skills and strength but I’m committed to doing it and know I can bring myself to reach a level of ability that would allow me to a great member of the team. Let's hope the coaches agree.

We were told offers will be emailed over the next day or so I’ve been patiently waiting for mine and haven’t given it a second thought. 

Who am I kidding, I'm (nearly) pulling my hair out. I hate waiting for things. In fact, I may or may not have refreshed my inbox 276 times already waiting for the message….

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for putting yourself out there, regardless if you make the team (I am sure you will though)how cool is it that you have ingnited a spark in yourself! You are an inspiration my friend.

    ReplyDelete