Tuesday 16 December 2014

Easing back into blogging.... West-coast style


It’s been 18 months since I last posted on my blog. 18 MONTHS. A lot can happen in that time. In fact, a lot has.

I’ve moved four times: out of my first house and into my former in-laws, from there I bounced to my sister’s and a year and a bit ago, I packed my entire life into my little red Mazda and drove 4,800 kilometres with a girlfriend in search of a new beginning. Then, I moved into my own place. 

In September 2013, I started the job that enabled me to fulfill a pipe dream I had at 18 years old to relocate to BC. Now, I’m living it. It still feels totally surreal. Except the rain. The excessive rain feels very real. And wet. 

The first couple of weeks felt like a vacation. I started my new job, met people at work, shopped, and celebrated with friends I already had in the city. I was foolish enough to think that life would continue to carry on with my feet floating above the ground.

My crap literally invaded my aunt & uncle's place
A few weeks in and with my much of my stuff still sitting in suitcases that were tucked into every corner of my aunt and uncle’s townhome, reality started to sink in.

Run dates with my sister were replaced by FaceTime calls where I could see her but not visit her. I had to get used to living in someone else’s house, again, surrounded by their things and their routine, which caused me to feel displaced. I missed my friends. I missed my family. I missed home.

I spent weeks, perhaps even months, second guessing some of the choices I had made both before I left and since I arrived in Vancouver. It’s taken some time, but I finally feel like I’ve settled in and can call this beautiful city ‘home’ without feeling like a total fraud..... Except for the fact that I still don't know how to speak Starbucks. 
I've promised myself that I'm going to start blogging again - even if it is just once a week. I mean, my life isn't THAT exciting. So, grab a glass of shiraz or pinot and read on - I’ll be sharing some experiences: the good, the bad, and the ugly, and hopefully providing some entertainment along the way.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment